Tuesday, September 29, 2020

Musician Feature: Sam Hurwitz

    Today's interview features Sam Hurwitz, a senior in high school and an incredibly talented and passionate songwriter. He's a writer as well as a musician, and his poetic lyrics and distinct voice shine through in his newly released songs, "Anaranjado" and "Forests on Antarctica," both of which can be found on Spotify by clicking here. Without further ado, meet Sam Hurwitz.

    What do you like about being a musician?

    What I love about being a musician is the ability to make something that wasn't there before. As with all creative endeavors, one is using their thoughts and feelings to make something new, even if it's not a physical object. Music allows me to do this not just with writing but with sound - melody, rhythm, instrumentation, and more. I am an avid music listener and I love the feelings music can give. I take inspiration from the music I listen to to use the medium to emit feelings and use it as a form of expression.

    What are some things that are hard for you when it comes to being a musician?
 
    Something that is hard about being a musician is that it sometimes is hard to feel like I'm doing something new. I like to make alternative folk songs, and often it feels like I'm repeating myself with the same chord progressions or melodies. Often this can result in writer's block, or a feeling that I'm not using music to its fullest potential.

    What's your favorite lyric from one of your songs?
 
    One of my favorite lyrics from one of my songs is "I know it's hard to remember to love these days" from the song "Peter" on my upcoming album. It's a simple lyric, but I think the power of lyrics is that they can take on a new meaning when paired with music. That lyric, when paired with the happy and victorious instrumentation of the song, conveys the theme of the song perfectly. The song is an ode to love, how sometimes everything is dark in the world and it's hard to remember to love someone else, especially within the context of LGBT relationships, when everything is so clouded by others' hatred and discriminations.
 
    Who are some other musicians that you look up to?
 
    My favorite artist is Jeff Tweedy of Wilco. My parents always played the band Wilco for me at a young age and it has always been my favorite band. I find inspiration in Tweedy both as a songwriter and as a person. I love his abstract lyrics, the way his music is different on each project, and above all, him as a person; he's authentic and real, with no nonsense. He stands up for what he believes in, and I feel that my values are very much aligned with his.
 
    How long have you been a musician? How strongly has music influenced your life overall?
 
    I've been a musician for as long as I can remember; even when I was a toddler I would strum a guitar, even if it sounded horrible! I began taking guitar lessons at age 6 and never stopped. I also began writing songs around then, and at age 10 I started learning piano at Lagond Music School. Lagond taught me a lot musically - I also took guitar, voice, and composition there, and I was part of a jazz band. Music is a huge part of my life. My parents aren't musicians but they love music and it has always been a huge part of our family. Going to music festivals is a family bonding experience for us. My family shares a lot of favorite artists, and listening to music as well as making it has always been among the areas where I am happiest.

    Are music and creative writing linked in some way for you? 

    Music and creative writing are very much linked for me. My love of music is due to my love of writing and creating. I love playing music, but I don't find satisfaction from just playing without writing. Creative writing and songwriting both feel like I am creating something new, expressing my feelings, and sharing with the world.





No comments:

Post a Comment